extension of a
By doubling its surface area, the city center of Villeurbanne – the second largest city by its population in the Lyon metropolitan area – is taking on a new status within the Lyon metropolitan area as “the heart of the agglomeration”. This urban renewal operation in the extension of a heritage district of the 1930s is, as of today, unprecedented in France. The reflection on the extension of the city center has been underway for 12 years within the metropolis.
a new attractive and peaceful center
Four objectives are laid out by the community:
– To constitute a large and attractive city center and an agglomeration hub by developing an ambitious program,
– To build an operation meeting the requirement imposed by the proximity of the emblematic heritage of the existing skyscrapers,
– To pacify the city center by favoring soft modes and public transportation,
– To promote a strong ambition of sustainable development, by opting for architectural choices and planning options which meet high environmental quality requirements.
The 7 hectare CAZ Gratte-Ciel Nord follows on from a monumental operation carried out by the architect Morice Leroux in 1934. In order to blend with the “already there”, the project is organized around several invariants:
– To extend the 20-meter wide axis of avenue Henri Barbusse to the central park;
– To create a public square perpendicular to the extended avenue Henri Barbusse in order to ease pedestrian crossings from east to west;
– To rely on what already exists in order to define the principles of project planning according to the different project areas.
– To respect a layout aligned with the entire site, revisiting the teachings of Morice Leroux;
– To set up a commercial space on two levels maintaining a domestic feel thanks to a set of terraces and above ground gardens;
– To carry out a graded architecture on the entire site with several types of buildings;
– To build a silo car park on the rue Francis de Pressensé side, integrated into the buildings of lot B in order to bring together all the spaces linked to shops and services on the same land unit.
– To convert the roofs, favoring a use dedicated to the inhabitants on the top floor. This so-called “belvedere” terrace may be accessible to all users of the building or may belong directly to the accommodation.
develop new public spaces
The challenge of the project is to complete the existing network through the development of new public spaces. The city center is in itself a real urban part that can due to its morphology exclude certain neighboring districts. It is all about opening up the new district and, at the same time, reducing imbalances, two major axes structure the project:
– The north / south pedestrian axis in the extension of avenue Henri Barbusse, which affirms the initial perspective from the town hall to the Geneviève Anthonioz-de-Gaulle walk. It makes the link with the existing Skyscrapers of Morice Leroux;
– The east / west pedestrian axis, punctuated by facilities – cinema, youth center, high school, gymnasium – which blend into the morphology of the islands.
Lighting design: Atelier Roland Jeol
AMO Environment: Vizea